Get In Touch

Schedule a Free Consultation

Phone (515) 403-3452

Fax (515) 222-0718

5000 Westown Parkway 
Suite 440, 
West Des Moines, Iowa 50266


How long do I have to file a personal injury lawsuit?

According to Iowa Code §614.1(2), you generally have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit in an Iowa court. While the Iowa statutes are clear on this timeframe, there are some factors that could make lengthen or shorten the statute of limitations for you.

OWI is defined as operating a motor vehicle:

  • with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08% or more
  • while under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or a combination of the two, or
  • while any amount of a controlled substance is present in the person’s blood or urine

Iowa Operating While Intoxicated ( OWI )

You must request an administrative hearing within 10 days of your arrest, otherwise your right to an administrative hearing will be lost and the revocation of your driver's license will be upheld for the applicable time frame.

Punishment for Possession in Polk County

A conviction for any possession charge can lead to jail time. A first offense is a misdemeanor, but can have a jail sentence of up to one year and a fine up to $1,875. The second offense is also a misdemeanor, with up to a two-year sentence and fines up to $6,250.

The third offense, and any offense after, is a felony, with a sentence of up to five years in prison and a fine up to $7,500.

Jail time and fines are not the only possible consequences of a drug conviction. You will also have a criminal record for the rest of your life that may prevent you from getting certain jobs or educational opportunities.

Contact a Licensed Attorney For Free

Phone (515) 402-3452

Fax (515) 222-0718

5000 Westown Parkway 
Suite 440, 
West Des Moines, Iowa 50266